To Blog or Not to Blog

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Where are you?

So I know all my adoring fans have been wondering where I've been (ha ha ha) So this new job of mine sure does keep me busy.

I guess I might be in semi-blurker status over at HBO. I still read at night but rarely comment anymore.

So I feel completely naive. I know that CDA has homeless people and poor people but I was not aware of how many people there were until I started my new job.

what an eye opener this place has been. Unlike my previous jobs in retail and other offices the people that come in will sit there and patiently wait for two hours to get what they need because they have no choice. It's a huge difference than people who are paying for a service who can't wait two minutes for fresh fries, or wait 30 minutes for their photos at the ONE HOUR photo lab, or can't wait 5 minutes for the person that they did not make an appt with to get off the phone.

It breaks my heart when someone asks for toilet paper and a bar of soap and I have to tell them that we're out because we haven't received any donations.

It breaks my heart when a mother leans over the counter with tears in her eyes and whispers that her children have lice and she has no money for the treatment.

Breaks my heart when an elderly gentleman waits 2 hours for a $10 gas voucher and cries when he finally receives it because he's so thankful.

Breaks my heart when a young mother of two has had her power shut off because she owes a measly $86 dollars to her utility company.

Breaks my heart when a mother asks for diapers and we have none, but she just smiles and says that she'll bring in all the diapers she has left over that her daughter has outgrown.

If you are one of the fortunate people to be above the poverty line, please donate to food banks, please donate toiletries, please donate to Project Share at the bottom of your power bill. Think you pay too much in power to be able to donate? Donate throughout the summer when your bill is super low it will help many people out the next winter. Yes there are lots of people who choose NOT to pay a cent on their power bill all winter then come running when they are faced with a shut off, but there are so many more who make a sincere effort to make payments throughout the winter and the electric company is still going to shut them off because of less than $100 owed.

I wish it hadn't taken me working here to find out how many people are in need. I had always planned to donate and volunteer later on in life when I am more financially stable, but I'm going to try harder to make contributions now.

11 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger jb3ll3 said...

You are on your own Lenten journey, huh. Love you, Bre. Keep up the good work. Thanks for all you do.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger stebbijo said...

You must have gotton that job at the food bank? Good for you! Compassionate people like yourself are needed!

I just quit my last job -- it was abusive. They hired me - used me to head up a 2nd shift then cut benefits. These people want you to work for free and have no life with mandatory overtime when they need to SUCK it out of you.

Now, I need another job but 'till then I will have more time to blog.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Dogwalkmusings said...

Good posting my friend. Keep it up.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger green libertarian said...

Thanks for a very heartfelt post, Bre, you are doing very very good work, and I salute you.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Toni said...

You would get along with my daughter. She works in Spokane at the 2nd Harvest Food Bank.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Weight Loss Expert said...

I enjoyed visiting. If you are interested in the TOP 10 NATIONAL RANK listings for losing weight informational products, please stop by.

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Weight Loss Expert said...

I enjoyed visiting. If you are interested in the TOP 10 NATIONAL RANK listings for fast weight loss informational products, please stop by.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Weight Loss Expert said...

I enjoyed visiting. If you are interested in the TOP 10 NATIONAL RANK listings for losing weight informational products, please stop by.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger stebbijo said...

Okay Bre --

You have been on vacation long enough! Time to get back to the basics -- like blogging!

We miss you and you are missin' out!

Also, check out Inland Northwest Bloggers' Association

Shhh -- don't tell anyone what I really look like in person! ;-)

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Word Tosser said...

It is sad who uneven life is in this United States.... 2 weekends ago I was watching the Travel Channel and they had Hag on with his yachet. As his wife walked around showing everything... And you hear about his big house he is building in California. Yet, here in his own state, his own town... is people who just want to live a decent life. Not riches, but the simple things in life. And are denied a decent job and wages.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Word Tosser said...

It is sad who uneven...
Sorry that is suppose to be
It is sad HOW uneven

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free html hit counter