To Blog or Not to Blog

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Torture

I made a rule for myself not to post too much about work anymore but this time I just don't care.

My stomach is in knots today. I have something exciting, but nerve racking going on tomorrow morning. But the other reason my stomach is in knots is not a fun one. My assistant boss approached me last night and said that to be fair she better tell me that she's decided that me, her and my mean co-worker are all going to have meeting sometime soon so that the co-worker and I can sit down together and tell each other what we don't like about each other. WHAT!!!! Are you kidding me? Since when does that sound like a good idea! Sure that might work if the other lady was actually mature enough to handle something like that, but she is far from it. My college group of friends and I tried this approach to solving our differences many times and we were girls that actually truely cared about each other and not once did it end on a good note, in fact none of us are even friends with each other anymore!

The problem isn't that her and I just don't mesh personally, this woman is unbelievably rude to just about everyone, it's not just me, I just happen to be the only person that has to deal with her ALL DAY long. Any other sane person who has to sit next to her would feel the same as I do. It should have been a big fat red flag my first couple weeks here when people kept asking me if I was going to quit. On a daily basis people make one comment or another about how they are surprised I can sit next to her all day. So by making me and her sit down with each other and tell each other what we don't like about each other is, I think, the assistants way of passing the problem onto us instead of taking care of it. My other boss once told me that no matter how many times they talk to her about her behavior they are never going to get her to change so he hopes that I would stick it out until she messes up big enough to be fired, and that they were only keeping track of when she made customers mad, and customers are about the only people she is nice to. So here it is several months later and she hasn't changed her attitude one bit!

I told my boss I wasn't so sure about her plan so she told me to think about a solution. I want to put this little meeting off for as long as possible, but if they insist on it I might have to break down and tell them I plan on quiting as soon as I can find a new job. (cross your fingers for tomorrow)

8 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger stebbijo said...

Go to this woman's face and tell her you will stay away from her, if she will get off your back - then maybe you both could avoid a stupid little meeting. Then you can tell your supervisor it is resolved. If that doesn't work - I would be sick. And, if that doesn't work and she is making working conditions intolerable - start documenting EVERYTHING she does so you have recourse when you quit due to workplace harrassment.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Bre said...

I have been trying to stay away from her but that makes her even more mad. It doesn't matter if I document anything the bosses know (well 2 outta 3) and they know what she does they get complaints daily, but I guess if she can get her work done then it doesn't matter how she treats everyone else (unless it's a client) and as long as she keeps kissing the boss's asses and the big man is kept in the dark about what goes on then all is well for them.
I will refuse to have the meeting and if they force it I will tell them that I plan on quitting, so the meeting is not nessecary.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Patches & Mittens said...

I can bite her!!!

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Bre said...

Oh Patches that sounds like the Purrrrfect plan, you think you can use your teleportation talents to zap in and bite her and zap back out before she knows what hit her.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger jb3ll3 said...

Bre, I am quite concerned. How can I help?

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Bre said...

Jbelle,
Thanks for the offer but I don't think there is much you can do. Eventually they'll learn that having such a negative person around is going to cost them more quality employees. I hear I'm not the first to leave because of her. It's sad that one person can ruin something good for everyone.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger jb3ll3 said...

Don't quit. Fight for yourself in your exquisitely beautiful manner. In only yours words, tell them it's you or her. Then let them decide. This is an opportunity; don't walk away! Work through it. You may not end up there, but you will be really surprised how you get to that place. You are waaay too good and too valuable an employee to just leave. Hang it there and work through it. I'm thinking of you and will make any call on your behalf that you want me to.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger usadiane said...

This is not an effective display of supervising and I've never heard of such a thing!

I'm a very big fan of documentation. I worked at a facility that had a terrible situation with a disgruntled employee. The whole matter ended up in court. Due to poor documentation the pathetic employee bilked our company out of nearly 18 grand.

We learned the hard way at that company, but became all the better for it by learning the importance of documenting.

Keep accounts of all that goes on and stand your ground. I seriously think your supervisor is taking what she thinks is the "easy way out". Is it possible for you to go further up in the chain of command?

Stand tall and don't back down. I wish you luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free html hit counter