To Blog or Not to Blog

Monday, January 09, 2006

Blowing Glass

On Saturday my mom and I got to go to Erlendson Art Glass and make our own glass ornaments. It was pretty cool and something I've always wanted to do.(a Christmas present from my hubby) I minored in art so throughout school I got to see many different demonstrations of art, including glass blowing, unfortunately it wasn't a class that was offered so I never got to actually participate. When you go into make an ornament you don't actually get to do a whole lot, you do get to do all the blowing, but not a lot of the rest, too much of a liability. I could sit there and watch them do it all day though, and I actually can! They have couches and tables set up to watch the artist at work and you can order food and drinks from the coffee place ( I think I even saw beer in their case) My husband used to work across the street from them and frequented the coffee place. At one time there was even a job opening there and I was ready to work there in a heartbeat, but dang those darn experience requirements, they wanted someone that knew how to make coffee, I don't even drink coffee.

I would definitely work in a cafe type place that was in an art store if it paid enough, who cares if it's not a "professional" job, it would be so much fun, except I'd be drooling all day over the beautiful art that I couldn't afford to buy. I'd actually work in the food industry, art store or not, it just doesn't pay enough. I'm good at food industry jobs, you get to move around and not sit on your butt for 8 hours as it grows larger each day. But if I were to work in the food industry I'd want to be a manager that way if the 16 year olds started getting on my nerves I could tell them what to do and in theory they'd listen to me. The last time I did a stint in the food industry was about 2 years ago, I had a "professional" job, but it was only part time, so I went back to my old stomping grounds for few months to bring in some extra money and I had a kid ask "So what school do you go to?" I had to hold back my laughter as I informed him that I was 23 and a college graduate, then I had to hold back the tears as I realized that I was 23 and a college graduate working in a fast food place and I wasn't even the boss!

8 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger stebbijo said...

I drink coffee. I have done the espresso thing. I started to typecast people according to soy. It was wierd. I always liked the plain 'ole Americana folks.

I need a business. Bay Views is giving out SBA loans -- we need to think of something.

Maybe hot buttered corn on a stick down by Hagadone? We could call it All Ears.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger jb3ll3 said...

Stebbijo, You are a marketing genius! You should write a marketing blog and create a subscription for people to read it!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger stebbijo said...

Jbelle -- that is a great idea!

I never pay for anything on the internet! Nothing unless I buy from Amazon.com and I always get my shipping FREE. So, I think - I must think like the consumers out there -- (they must be as smart as me?) I would not pay to read me.

If anyone has that capability it might be DFO -- but I am into marketing corn now.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger jb3ll3 said...

BA, I love art. I think the present your husband gave you is very romantic. Someday, I want you to see my art collection.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Bre said...

Jbelle, the present was very romantic, but what's even cooler is that my mom is in love with art, if it were a perfect world all she would do is art. So I think it's really awesome that he got that for both my mom and I. When he first started going to this place he found that they had a more involved lesson but it cost a lot more and he was going to buy that for a present for her but he knew I wanted to do it to so he went for the less expensive one. Plus my dad gives my mom one of these glass ornaments every year for Christmas for many, many years, and it was cool that she got to go make her own as well.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger stebbijo said...

Okay Jbelle -- I took your advice and became an internet marketer.

Spread the word. I hope some day I make so much money you have to manage it!

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger jb3ll3 said...

That Stebbs--she does not let any grass grow under her feet! :) This is gonna be a good year, I just know it.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Patches & Mittens said...

About glass blowing:

Sure miss The Christmas Store since it went out of business!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free html hit counter