To Blog or Not to Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The Day After Thanksgiving

I think the day after Thanksgiving is going to be an official holiday pretty soon. Don't know if it will be called "The Day After thanksgiving" or "The Biggest Shopping Day of the Year" or what. I think pretty much everyone except those that work in retail get the day after off anyways. So all this talk about the big day reminds me of the year that I worked in the photo lab at Wal-Mart down in Moscow.

We were told that since we were in the photo lab we were going to have to help out other departments and let people pay for their purchases at our counter. Well we were all standing around anxiously awaiting the opening of the store. It was dead quite in the store, we photo labers looked over at the electronics boys who were nervously pacing back and forth. Those boys were the big target. That was the year of one of the new game stations (Playstation 2, I believe) We only had 16 in, plus other things such as TV's and DVD players at rock bottom prices were going to be a big thing.

Suddenly I heard this low rumbling rattling sound and the sound kept growing louder and louder and I saw one shopper come flying around the corner with their cart and just as I was thinking that sound was too loud to have been one shopper, a swarm of shoppers followed suit and flew around the corner, two carts crashing into one another and causing a traffic jam. As soon as the jam broke up and everyone made it over to electronics I watched as the boys in electronics were swallowed up by the crowd. There was a line forming at the electronics counter and no electronics guys to be found, a fellow photo laber and I rushed over there to man the registers and we didn't see the photo again until several hours later, the electronic boys finally emerged from the depths of the electronic department several hours later, hair tussled, looking like they'd been run over by a truck. Their department was wiped out.

It's not entirely true that I didn't see a one of them that entire time, I would see them as they were trying to maneuver giant TV's through the swarms and knocking displays over in the process.

What an experience that was. It actually ended up being kind of fun, instead of being frustrated with how stupid people were acting (like a normal day at Wal-Mart) we just laughed at them, I'd been on the shopping end of the crazy rush before but never on the retail end.

So remember when you brave the crowds this year, make sure to be nice to the employees and give them a thank you.

4 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger granati said...

i've only braved the 6 o'clock crowd once, and that was 2 years ago. never again. if i "need" something, i can wait a while to get it, even though it may be cheaper, i still am not going to be part of that crowd.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger stebbijo said...

One more reason I love computers --they lend to my stress free shopping life.

Now, if I could just get the groceries delivered! ;-)

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger amyrebba said...

I am so glad I got the UPS job and quite there a month ago, because I sure wasn't looking forward to that. You're right though Wal Mart is always full of idiots. I won't be braving the crowds either. With no money and absolutely no patients for how stupid people can be. I'd end up just punching someone out! Good luck to those of you who do.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger jb3ll3 said...

They don't call in 'Black Friday' in retail for nuthin'...have a great weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free html hit counter